World famous for one of the oldest portuguese exports, the Port wine, the city of Oporto disputes the title of the most beautiful portuguese city.
The 19th century building, a former diocesan seminary, where the Salesians of Porto are located offers a beautiful view of the city and the Douro River. The Salesians’ presence in the “undefeated” city dates back to 1909, when they ran the Oficina de São José until 1951, a work founded in 1883 by Father Sebastião de Leite Vasconcelos, inspired by the labor of St. John Bosco for the education and professional qualification of street boys. In 1951, the Salesians took over another school in the city, the former Royal College of the Orphan Boys of the city of Porto, an institution with 370 years of history. Today, the Salesians in Porto are a modern school with about 400 students and a strong presence of the SYM in the Youth Center, Salesian Alumni Center, Catechesis, etc. Porto is home to one of the most important national Catechetical Publishing Houses: Edições Salesianas.